TIC Council urges purchasers of PPE equipment and medical devices to ensure validity of products and related certifications.
Brussels, April 28, 2020: TIC Council warns buyers from industries, municipalities or public institutions of rapidly emerging fraud trends related to procurement of personal protective equipment (PPE) and medical devices in short supply during the current COVID-19 pandemic.
TIC Council has been notified that there are number of counterfeit Conformity Assessment certificates being utilized to assert the validity and safety of personal protection equipment (PPE) and medical devices.
The use of fraudulent and non-compliant equipment or devices:
- 1. Engages the importer and the employer penal responsibilities,
- 2. Puts at great risk the health and safety of the PPE and medical devices users,
- 3. Increases the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus.
- TIC Council recommends for any purchaser of PPE equipment and/or medical devices, public or private, to verify the validity of any claims of compliance and certificates of conformity. Specific steps an industry buyer can take:
- (1) Request a certificate
- (2) Validate the certificates by contacting Conformity Assessment Body identified on the certificate
- (3) Contact TIC Council regarding fraudulent activity at email@example.com
- Q VanBenschoten, Chair of the TIC Council Anti-Counterfeiting Committee, recommends that if law enforcement authorities, consumer organizations, governments or citizens have doubts about the validity of a claim or certificate of conformity, that they contact the Conformity Assessment Body whose mark is used.
TIC Council Director General Hanane Taidi stated that “As we battle the COVID-19 virus, it is vital that health and safety equipment ensure proper protection to those using them and meet required standards. Genuine protective equipment is fundamental in order to protect lives and prevent the further spread of the virus. We urge people buying PPE and medical devices to ensure their authenticity and the validity of safety and quality certificates”.
About TIC Council
TIC Council is a global association representing over 90 international independent third-party testing, inspection, certification and verification organizations. The industry represents an estimated one million employees across the world with annual sales of approximately USD 200 billion.